Thursday, August 6, 2009

Book Review--The Revelations of Minister Skyddz

My First Book Review and this happens to be from my own publisher but it was neither solicited nor did they promise me extra royalties. :-)

The Revelations of Minister Skyddz by E. J. Vance from Swimming Kangaroo Books

This is a satiric version of The Bible with twists on the original that will amuse some and infuriate others. If you are a conservative Christian, I suggest staying away. If you have a sense of humor and an open mind on the subject of religion, this may be just the book for you. The creator, also known as Lordy Dude, after doing his creation bit begins meeting Archangels, who become God's motorcycle club with much partying and pulling of pranks. I loved the fiendish parody of Adam and Eve, and the re-telling of the story of Satan will give you a jolt (maybe even make you think after you finish chuckling).

The writing isn't perfect. The first part was a bit slow. But it's worth your time to keep going. A little way in, it gets good.

http://www.amazon.com/Revelations-Minister-Skyddz-E-J-Vance/dp/1934041742

AND I'll be starting another book give away (this time of paperbacks) later this week!

3 comments:

J. M. Strother said...

Hi, Jeanne. Just wanted to say thanks for the PDF. I've started reading, but it will take me a while to get through it. I'm a slow reader, and I can only read bits at a time when I'm on my laptop (don't have a dedicated ereader). I like it so far. I can't seem to mark my place in the PDF, so it takes me a while to find where I left off sometimes. :p I need to start writing down the page number.

Congrats on the book review.
~jon

J. R. Tomlin said...

Really glad you're enjoying it, Jon. I envy people who are slow readers. It makes books last longer--a good thing, in my view. :-)

Anonymous said...

I too found this book to be hilarious. The word-play fun...I think the author is just beginning to get his groove on. Wondering if the future holds more and better words. We can't be left with a cliffhanger can we. I'd like to read more.

The characters/Archangels in this one quite vivid!