Saturday, June 15, 2013

The Real Story on Publishing

Apologies to people who have no interest in publishing except reading books, but obviously I am part of the industry. I've thought about writing a blog post on the topic, but it is so complicated and contentious these days... I haven't.

However, author Michael J. Sullivan just cut through a lot of the bull shite on his blog and did it much better than I think that I can. So if you're interested in why so many authors and publishers are in such a lather, I suggest reading his blog post:


It's well written and informative. And for those not interested in publishing, I have a post on sword fighting coming up in a few days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...


http://amazingstoriesmag.com/2013/06/publishing-lets-stop-comparing-apples-and-oranges/


"The books with blockbuster potential – will do the best in traditional. It has the infrastructure to move the large quantity of books required and people like Rowlings, King, Patterson will do well even with their small percentages."


I agree.

J. R. Tomlin said...

Of course, we have to remember that most novels won't be blockbusters and that's all right. The "mid-list" books can do well and make money. But yeah, if you get to the point of being a King, then traditional can offer a reach that indies can't manage. And you should even have the clout to get a decent contract.

Anonymous said...


Hi, J. R. Tomlin.

I agree with what you wrote as well.