Saturday, April 1, 2023

A Return to Blogging

 After an absence of six years from blogging, let me reintroduce myself. I am J R Tomlin, author of historical fiction. Although my university degree is in history, my writing is based much more on research in primary sources, this is first-hand accounts from people who had a direct connection with the events. Secondary sources, historians who later make a living disagreeing with primary sources, often have something worth considering, but I always give the people who were there more weight.

Then my job is fitting fiction in the blank spaces. Going forward, I am not going to blog about the writing part but about the history part. The history of Scotland has been so twisted out of all resemblance of reality by movies such as Braveheart and most novels including some very recent ones, and some Anglophile historians, that if I can make even a tiny stand against untruths and misinformation, I will have done something worthwhile. I'll try not to spend too much time on a soap box though. 

The history of Scotland, the real history, is full of more twists, turns, and amazing happenings, that it is entertaining so I will try not to bore.

No comments: